Why do we care SO MUCH about what we put in our products? read "Myths on Cosmetic Safety" (from Environmental Working Group)
- More than 500 products sold in the U.S. contain ingredients banned in cosmetics in Japan, Canada or the European Union (EWG 2007b).
- Nearly 100 products contain ingredients considered unsafe by the International Fragrance Association (EWG 2007c).
- A wide range of nanomaterials whose safety is in question may be common in personal care products (EWG 2006).
- 22% of all personal care products may be contaminated with the cancer-causing impurity 1,4-dioxane, including many children’s products (EWG 2007d, CDC 2009).
- 60% of sunscreens contain the potential hormone disruptor oxybenzone that readily penetrates the skin and contaminates the bodies of 97% of Americans (EWG 2010, Calafat et al 2008).
- 61% of tested lipstick brands contain residues of lead (CSC 2007).
For more info, check out the full article at the Environmental Working Group www.ewg.org/skindeep/myths-on-cosmetics-safety/